Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"World's Best Mom"

Mother's day was a couple weeks ago, and with all the talk about mothers It has made me think a little more about what kind of mom I am, more specifically what type of mom I am not.

CONFESSION:  I'm NOT the "World's Best Mom".
I let my child eat too much junk and watch too much television.
I pin more fun ideas than actually complete with my daughter.  
My house is a mess and not organized at all.  
Sometimes we stay in our jammies all day.
Sometimes we wear yesterdays clothes because I don't feel like doing laundry.
Sometimes I let her walk around with dirt on her face and her hair a mess.
I don't always listen to what she is telling me.
I don't always want to play games with her.
Sometimes I'm just tired and want to nap.
I use bribes and buy her things for being good.
I buy her things just because I think she is cute and deserves it.
I get mad at her for things that really aren't her fault.
I get frustrated when she cries or has a tantrum.

I will admit I have "spanked" her bum for doing something dangerous.
Timeout is a frequent disciplinary tool used in our house
And sometimes I think it is best to just let her CRY it out!  

There are so many more things that I don't do or do wrong that I probably don't have time to mention them all.

TRUTH:  With all that being said, I still am a GOOD mom.
I love my child and tell her frequently.
I teach her manners and respect for others.
I teach her to love others and be their friend.
She knows that being different is okay.
I hug and kiss her frequently.
I give her chores and responsibilities.
I let her use her imagination.
I let her be creative.
I don't get mad at her for getting dirty. (I usually am right there with her getting messy)
I sing her songs and read her stories every day.
I teach her about right and wrong.

I teach her how to forgive others for their mistakes.
I show her that our own mistakes are okay and that is how we learn.
I teach her about our Heavenly Father and Jesus.

I teach her how to pray and show gratitude.
 
What I've learned though my reflection:  it's okay to not be the best.  Doing your best makes you a good mom and your children will thank you for it later.   To my own mother, she often mentions that she wasn't the best mom, but in all reality I don't remember her mistakes as much as I remember that I was loved and she care about me.  I may not be the "World's Best Mom", but I am a DARN GOOD MOM and that is all I want to aspire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment