A few weeks ago, I celebrated 8 years of marriage. While on facebook (sounds good right?) I saw him reply to a post and started thinking about how amazing he was, and that I don't give him a lot of recognition. So tonight's truth and confession post is for him. I hope he does not get too embarrassed or upset with me writing about him, and if he does end up reading this I'm sure he'll be correcting all my grammar failures in his head (some of you know exactly what I'm talking about ha ha)
Truth- I love my husband more than myself.
Confession- The reasons why I love him today have certainly changed from the day we met.
So here's a run down of our relationship. We met our senior year of high school, hung out a couple times, went on a date, and like a lot of high school kids we became a couple pretty quick. He was sweet, gave me flowers and cards and always said really nice things to me. A true gentleman which is hard to find in a young man now days. That was it, I was head over heals for him, and I'd like to think he was for me. We married a year out of high school, against what everyone else around us thought, including our religion. Also against another standard practice in faith and culture, we had loads of fun for 5 years just the two of us. Then we pregnant and now have had loads of different fun with our sweet girl.
Do I have any regrets about getting married so long or not having children right away. Absolutely not. Those first 5 years we were young and could do whatever we wanted, and we did. It was the best thing ever. I had a chance to really get to know my husband, without the worries of what our peers or parents thought. It wasn't all roses and sunshine, after a short while I stopped getting showered with gifts and praises. My husband had a wife who wouldn't leave his side (which I'm sure was more than annoying). We fought, said things we regret and then made up. The great thing about our first 5 years was we learned so much from our arguments and mistakes that now with our daughter our arguments don't come as often and we cool down faster. I speak for myself, but by knowing my husband better I know how to avoid frivolous arguments whereas I didn't early on.
Okay so back to the reasons why I love him and how they have changed. When we were dating, at 17-18 and even our early years of marriage, it was all about the romance. I'm not sure if it was just the raging hormones of a teenager or what but all I knew is that I loved this guy, I couldn't write our names in my notebook enough times and I was going to marry him one day. Now days, our romance is not flowers and cards but the times we are laying in bed and can't stop laughing at each other. Those moments when unexpectedly he does something unexpected to help me out because I haven't felt well or haven't had the time. The time he looks past the messy house and the late dinner because I just wanted to be lazy. Things as simple as a smile or a glance in my direction. These are the most precious gifts to me because I know that he cares about me.
Over the past eight years I have watch my husband change in a way that maybe only I have seen. I don't even know if he sees it in himself. He has become one of the most open, understanding, wise and truthful people that I have ever met. He has been a huge example to me of bringing about fairness to others. He has become a person who rarely judges others and embraces the fact that other people might just have a different opinion than his own. He has become a person who is not embarrassed to speak the truth regardless of the outcome. He has opened my eyes to the world and things I would have never learned on my own.
He is not the boy I married 8 years ago but the man that I honestly love today. He truly is my better half and I know he was in God's plan for me. I don't know if I'll ever be good enough to really deserve such a great man as he, but I am proud to be called his wife.
Aw! Love this post, very sweet. We didn't have our son until we were married for 4 years, and although I belief that deciding when to have children is very personal and I pass no judgment on others' decisions, it was definitely fun to just be married and really get to know each other for a while first. (we didn't date for very long)
ReplyDeleteP.S. My husband is from Kemmerer! Small world. I remember you moved, but I didn't ever know where!
Thank you Bethany! I still sometimes feel like people look down on us for the decisions we made, especially when they find out Brad married me instead of going on mission, and the "when you going to have kids" comment used to bug me a lot ..... BUT now I just ignore most remarks. LOL
DeleteAnd I don't know if your husband remembers me or not but I totally remember him and his family!! I still keep in touch with a few people from Kemmerer. I may have lived there for only 2 years but it changed my life forever! Loved that place and all the great memories! :)